4.18.2012

The Wrong Alice

Hand dyed dress, originally from Forever 21. Key necklace, American Eagle. Watch, Timex. Headband, H&M. Handbag, local fair trade shop. Shoes, thrifted.

     The elements in my outfit Monday just screamed Alice in Wonderland to me. The watch, the blue dress, the key...everything just came together. Of course, that was somewhat intentional because of my upcoming Alice-inspired photo shoot. But a line from the most recent Disney/ Tim Burton adaptation of the classic tale also perfectly suited some thoughts I have been having over and over again in regards to fashion and style. 
      Throughout the beginning of the movie, multiple characters refer to the Alice in question as "the wrong Alice". While it might be a bit of a stretch, this definitely makes me think of the act of dressing for others vs. dressing for yourself.
      It's hard to truly say that others' opinions don't matter when I'm pretty much counting on others liking my style for the success of my blog. In this new "fashion democracy" that the Internet has created, everyone is not only entitled to their opinion about style, but they are encouraged to share it. I really appreciate the power this has given us to determine trends even in a world still dominated by designer fashion. While the discussion of popularity pretty much directly correlating with how many designer goods are showcased on one's blog (with a few notable exceptions) is an entirely different debate, I still have to ask when taking my outfit pictures...am I really dressing for myself?
     When it comes to the daily act of putting together outfits, I have come to decide that my answer to that question is yes! While I am fully aware what on trend items and keywords will get more votes on websites like Chictopia, I don't let this stop me from sharing what I truly wear- what you see is a true reflection of my style, whether or not it will "go viral". I try very hard to maintain a level head- deciding when to embrace trends, particularly blog trends is never an easy thing to have perspective on when over saturation comes into play. However, the resilience I attempt in carving my own sphere of influence leads me to believe that I just might be "the right Ashlyn". 

P.S.- I forgot to mention that yesterday (coincidentally) marked another huge milestone for me...my three year anniversary with Reid! We are celebrating this weekend and I can't wait to see what he has up his sleeve. 

8 comments:

daria said...

I think, in a way, we're always dressing for others - it makes us feel good when we get compliments and when others admire us. But it's also important to keep it true to yourself, or otherwise it shows. For example, if you wear something just cause readers might like it, you won't appear as comfortable as when you wear something you truly love.
Having said that, I love the Alice theme and how you dyed this dress - it really is more interesting this way!

Mici Mathonka said...

I love how this dress came out after dying, those shades of bleu are just perfect!

Rory said...

love the minty blue of your dress :)
Rory
www.WearAboutsBlog.com

SomeoneLikeYou said...

Everything you wear is so magical and dreamy...You truly have comprised the perfect wardrobe! Not to mention I can't believe how lovely of a job you've done on this dress...it looks like it came like this!

I can't tell you how much I truly enjoy your blog. You are such a visionary! x

Frock Stock said...

I love this dress with a passion! Now I want a top like the top of the dress... I feel like it'd look cute over so many things. Really amazing work, Ashlyn. Giving you a shout out on our twitter!

<3 Loren of Frock Stock
www.frock-stock.com

Amy said...

OMG I am soo glad I randomly clicked on your blog.. very Alice in Wonderland! It's sooo adorable, and I reallllllly want that dress, but maybe in a pink shade!

http://prettylittletitch.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/prettylittletitch

Amy said...

OMG I am soo glad I randomly clicked on your blog.. very Alice in Wonderland! It's sooo adorable, and I reallllllly want that dress, but maybe in a pink shade!

http://prettylittletitch.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/prettylittletitch

Madhu said...

This outfit was literally perfect. Love love love it all

Post a Comment

Thank you kindly for taking the time to comment! I sincerely make an effort to respond to each, and visit each blog in return.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...